This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6v to 12v conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steigerbro24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6v to 12v conversion
    Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 3:41pm
 I want to convert my B to 12 volt from 6 volt. What all would I have to replace in order to do this.

Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 3:50pm
We offer a complete 12V conversion wiring system if interested. Gives you everything in the kit to change over to 12V except ambition. Drop us a line if interested. This pic happens to be for the WD/WD45, but the B,C,CA kit is very similar...
Steve@B&B

GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 4:14pm
Steve's kits are complete and he provides easy to follow instructions-and his price is comparable to a DIY installation (his photo does not show the mounting bracket for the alternator, however he used to have them available. Contact him as he is very knowledgeable and a real good source of info.
However if you want to DIY, you will need a 12V battery, 12V (internally regulated) alternator or generator (if using a generator, you will need a 12V regulator), a 12V internally resisted coil (or if you want to keep your 6V coil; a ballast resister block wired into the lead from the switch to the coil), new ignition and light switches, and a mounting bracket if going with the alternator. Recommend you change it to negative ground; you will need to reverse the leads on the ammeter (or replace it with a voltmeter) and wire the coil such that the - terminal goes into the distributor (assuming you have a distributor). You should also change the light bulbs to 12V ones. You should also consider new battery wires. I am now also installing the Petroex Electronic ignition module in my 12V upgrades; Steve can provide the one you need (engines seem to start and run smoother-and you no longer have to worry aboult points and condensers failing). Link to Duey's site where you can find the wiring diagams below

What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
steigerbro24 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steigerbro24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 5:32pm
I would like to actually keep my old generator. I'm going to get it looked at and get some quotes to see if it can be converted or just rebuilt
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steigerbro24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 5:35pm
Another thing how much will it cost because I don't have lights and don't really need them and I just want my B to start better.

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 6:09pm
Its cheaper to install fat battery cables and maintain the 6 volt wiring than to change  to 12 volts.

Gerald J.
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 6:17pm
You are wasting your time to try to convert a 6 volt genny to 12 volts. IF you proceed with the conversion then use an alt. reguardless of using lights or other accesories. It will start better if everything mentioned above is done correctly. You can swap out the cables and such and get the most out of the 6 volt system but it still is nothing close to what you'll get if you swap it to 12volts. Plus the change takes care of the charging problems. No matter what voltage you use it will need to charge for it to work right.
Yea, I can fix that.....
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 6:52pm
Yep, it will cost a lot to convert your 6V gennie to 12V; most likely more than a good recondioned 12V Chevy gennie. I also agree that a 12V alternator is a good choice (especially when cost is the driving choice); however, it does not take many amps to keep a batter charged on a tractor since they  do not have much draw after started (in fact I have "upgraded" to 12V and did not have a gennie or alternator...just charged the battery once or twice a month with the battery charger).
I use the "short" Chev 12V gennies (I use reconditioned ones); they fit just fine on the mounting brackets and look original and they put out enough to keep the battery up. I mount the voltage regulator inside the tool box to keep it out of the weather. From a distance it looks original. The last time I did it, I paid $125 for a rebuilt Chevy gennie and another $45 for the VR. The shop dialed in the new VR to the gennie (I always go this route as "new" VRs are not always good from the factory). Nothing wrong with keeping the 6V system...if it is yours and you don't mind the maintenance (and cost) required to keep the 6V system; it works.
I redo mine because 12V components (batteries, cables, etc) are readily available and cheaper than 6V stuff. Ask those who have purchased 6V batteries and they will tyell youi that the 6V battery has set on the shelf many months before you buy it.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 7:07pm
I converted my CA and Oliver 60 both to 12V. The CA has a D17 generator and regulator on it. The Oliver has a 770 generator and regulator. Oliver and A-C both used the light switch to control the charge rate, high and low. I just added regulators and used the original wires. Eventually I did run new wire, but the change was only adding the regulator in line with the armature wire near the ammeter on both tractors. The field wire was unhooked from the light switch and connected to the regulator.
The original 6V gen will produce the 13-14 volts with a 12V regulator, but the points in the regulator will not last long.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steigerbro24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 7:43pm
Brian are saying that there was a switch that regulated the charging rate?

klyant View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klyant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 8:47pm
I have converted 6v generators to 12v. the armiture and the field coils will have to be changed and you will need a 12v regulator.

I'm betting the 6v system would work if you clean and oil the started first. then clean the rust out of the starter hole so you get a good ground between the starter and the frame. Then replace ALL cables with 0 gauge cables and replace the starter switch. Make sure you have a good clean connection between the ground cable and frame.
If the battery grounds to the side of the battery box. it would be wise to get a longer cable and ground directly to the frame. 
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:08pm
Good starter brushes fitted to a freshly a turned commutator along with new bearings help many a starter, 6 or 12 volts.

Gerald J.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by steigerbro24 steigerbro24 wrote:

Brian are saying that there was a switch that regulated the charging rate?

Yes, the light switch also controls the charge rate. With the switch all the way in, it's lights off low charge. One notch out, lights on high charge, all the way out, lights off high charge. This type of charging system only has a cutout relay usually on the generator. I did what it sounds like you want to do. I upgraded the CA because at the time I didn't know that you need at least 02 gauge cable for a 6v system to crank the engine. 00 gauge is better yet. More headlights and warning lights were what I wanted. I used the original brackets on both tractors.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

We offer a complete 12V conversion wiring system if interested. Gives you everything in the kit to change over to 12V except ambition. Drop us a line if interested. This pic happens to be for the WD/WD45, but the B,C,CA kit is very similar...
Steve@B&B

I don't see a battery in that kit, Mr. "Everything"

:-)  :-P

Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Jerry (Ohio) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry (Ohio) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 6:58pm
Everybody is going to a lot of trouble when all you have to do is put a 12 volt battery in the case. Hook it up postive ground, and since you do not have lights you do not need to change blubs to 12 volts. If have a mag your ready to go. If coil put a resistor in the line to the  coil. I have done many a tractor like this for many years and they are still starting like right now
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steigerbro24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 9:02pm
Knowing that there was a switch for charge rat would have been nice, but anyway my tractor starts if it has a fully charged battery, and I really shouldn't spend too much money on it until Im done with school and am not driving a minivan. So I think I'm gonna keep it at 6volts but thanks for everyone for contributing their knowledge.  
johnny56 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 4:36pm
whats the cost of the wd 12 volt kit pictured

TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 5:39pm
The cost? WORTH IT.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 5:50pm
For pricing of his kits, it is best to contact Steve directly at B&B Custom Circuits. His site's contact page has phone and email info to reach him.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 11:04am
Dont see a coil in the "complete kit"
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
oldways View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Jerry (Ohio) Jerry (Ohio) wrote:

Everybody is going to a lot of trouble when all you have to do is put a 12 volt battery in the case. Hook it up postive ground, and since you do not have lights you do not need to change blubs to 12 volts. If have a mag your ready to go. If coil put a resistor in the line to theĀ  coil. I have done many a tractor like this for many years and they are still starting like right now
. Agreed
1 Corinthians 1:18 1969-190xt-III. 1966 190xt gas. 1966 190xt Cab. 1948-G. 1937-WC unstyled. 1950-B. 1951-CA. 1966-D17-IV
Dave Wisc. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wisc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 7:01pm
Ok I have a B I thought about the 12 volt system but wanted to keep it original so this is what I did . First make sure that the starter is in good shape and put good 0 wire to the starter and a good ground too. My B starts and turns over just fine no problem at all. This is the less expensive way of going and the besti I think.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 7:07pm
A "GOOD" 6 v generator will put out about 14 volts when not connected to a 6 v battery. The battery basically acts as a regulator.......... SO... you cant put a 12 volt battery in the tractor with a 6 v generator and it SHOULD charge the battery. I have a B that is setup that way ...( it has a 12v regulator installed)...... You can also install a 12 v battery and not connect the generator wires.. The battery will run the tractor for several hours before needing a recharge.. Just put it on the charger when you park it.

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Dec 2019 at 7:09pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic