This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Allis Chalmers 670T info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noel petersom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Allis Chalmers 670T info
    Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 6:35pm
I have a 1978 Thyokol/LMC snowcat that has a 670T engine in it. I've owned it for maybe 10 years and hopefully have made it more reliable during the winter.
I've gone through multiple electrical issues and finally found a bad master switch that seems(so far) to have been the culprit all along.
I've removed and replace the starter many times thinking this could be the problem because the gears that mesh with the flywheel had oil/water all inside. I figured when this mixture froze, it wouldn't allow the bendix to operate correctly.
The yellow cover that goes around the flywheel has a plug on the bottom of it but I can't find any info on what if anything is supposed to be in there.
I only see one plug on the top(at bout 11 o'clock looking forward to the cat) but it doesn't look like a fill hole because there's a plate or piece of metal 1/8 from the bottom of the hole.
There is a skid plate right under this cover which i had to cut away to find the plug. This tells me it's never been serviced or drained in decades.
Any information about this engine or knowledge you'd like to share would be appreciated. Thank you very much
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 7:12pm
I'd say it was rated at 158HP @ 2,400 RPM. An engine used in the Allis-Chalmers 7045 farm tractor and L2-series Gleaner combine. Oil changes every 100 hrs with 15W-40 motor oil for older flat tappet camshaft engines. Tappets adjusted to .017" cold. Injection pump timing is 16 degrees BTDC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic