This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1953 Model D grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1953 Model D grader
    Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 10:57am
This is a followup to a post on May 20 2015 from Kurto asking about a starter for the d grader he purchased. It appears the WD45 engine was replaced with the D15 2.9L diesel engine. The flywheels are not the same diameter and the and the starter gears are 10 for the original versus 9 for the replacement.  Therefore 3 questions: Will the flywheel from the WD45 bolt to the D15 crank making the original starter work? Is it worth the trouble?
The torque is muck less as the WD45 produces 288 foot pounds versus the D15's 127. Is there a better engine swap as the D15 needs to be pulled anyway?

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 2:11pm
there are BIG engines and SMALL engines... The D17 , WD45 used a 226 cubic inch engine.. THe WD and WC used a 201 engine with a very similar block.. Those will all interchange.. The SMALLER engine was a 125 cubic inch used in the B and C tractors.. THen upgraded to a 138 or 149 inch for the D10- 12- 14--- and then 15 tractors. Those are all interchangable, (among themselves) but SMALLER HOUSING than the LARGER 201- 226 motors, and not interchangable with them.

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Jan 2024 at 2:13pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 4:29pm
D-17 motors should bolt right into the D grader...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
newbe2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 10:04pm
 Thanks for replying. Will the D17D 262 diesel, with a frame extension, interchange as well?  If so, which starter would I use?  Which engine would be the most reliable?
Any suggestions on a better way, I am looking forward to having something to play with in my spare time.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 10:15pm
You would find a LOT MORE 226 gas engines from the D17 or WD45... LOTS of them made and LOTS available for low rebuild cost and direct fit..
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 7:57am

WC, WD,, and WD45 201 and 226 used the Model 'W' Block.

D-10, D-12, D-14, D-15 138, 149, and 160 used the Model 'G' Block.

Allis bot the Buda Engine Co. in 1953.

G
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 10:13am
wd-45 and never look back! --- looks like that is what my 1950 D is going to get!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
newbe2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 11:18am
I am in Southern California where there is not a lot of AC salvage yards to poke around in, so I need a little help. I would like to replace the D15 2.9L 4cyl Diesel with one of the following
D17 3.7L. gas, D17 4.3L diesel or the WD45 3.8L Buda Diesel. The shipping cost adds to the misery so I would like to do it right the first time. Extending the frame to accommodate the 6 does not appear to be a problem, I think I can deal with that. The only other choice I see is to pull the D15 engine and put the WD45 flywheel on it, if that even works.
Of the three engines which would be the most useful in the D road grader? I live over a mile from the nearest maintained pave road and there is another 2 miles of road past me that needs to be maintained. My skip loader is wearing out, so I need to do something.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 12:42pm
Gary, i think what eveyone is telling you is the grader probably came with a motor very similar if not exactly the same as a D17 tractor.. Then apparently it was MODIFIED to make a D15 motor fit. It should not fit the bell housing, and the flywheel and starter would not fit so the D15 parts were used... 

It would appear the easiest and least expensive way to fix this would be to go back to the D17 gas engine with its flywheel and starter motor.. Should bolt right up to the ORIGINAL bell housing ... is there some type of adaptor plate that was added to get the D15 motor to fit ?

THe diesel motor are less popular or at least less AVAILABLE , and additional modifications would need to be done... Assuming you have the ORIGINAL bell housing on the tractor, the D17 gas 226 should bolt right in... Gas motor should be readily available, cheaper, and easier to rebuild than the diesels.
newbe2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 1:42pm
Thanks Steve
There is a 1/2 adapter plate, which may have moved the flywheel forward loosing contact with the starter, or I haven't found the right starter yet.  The D17 gas is a good option, if I can find one in good shape without actually seeing it.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 5:38pm
figure on a rebuild job on whatever motor you buy!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 5:52pm
Gary... it is a ways off, but if you want a good deal from a trustworthy guy, you might contact Steve or Lon in Minnesota... Both have GOBS of parts and a few motors ... They could get you the engine, flywheel and starter you need..

to ACs post.. opening the motor and checking bearings, rebuild the oil pump, grind valves, install new rings and gaskets... is always a good way to Freshen up an old motor.. You dont need to go overboard with parts.

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 8:53am
Originally posted by newbe2 newbe2 wrote:

Thanks Steve
There is a 1/2 adapter plate, which may have moved the flywheel forward loosing contact with the starter, or I haven't found the right starter yet.  The D17 gas is a good option, if I can find one in good shape without actually seeing it.

I doubt that the right starter exists for a Frankenstein setup like this, and if it does then it is just by blind luck rather than proper design.

You would need to make careful measurements of the flywheel-to-starter relationship, and then start looking at drawings of various starters. You might get lucky!

You may have better luck finding a complete WD or WD-45 that already runs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic