This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt wiring
    Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 8:55am
converting wd 45 allis to 12 volt  have single wire alt and new coil 12 volt in reduces ..to 6 volt. does anybody have a wiring diagram, or guide me to a source.i have new alt. amp meter,ign switch, and a new light switch.
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:08am
Go to Duey's website and look under Allis Chalmers pages. I don't remember what page but he has several drawings of different set-ups.
http://dueyschutter.freeservers.com/index.html
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:21am
You should use a voltmeter with the alternator.
The ammeter will not always tell the whole story.

http://www.egauges.com/ATM_Tips.asp?TipPage=voltmeterammeter.htm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:37am
You will also want the small 2 1/2 inch pulley on that alternator to give it more rpm's at low engine speeds to excite it.
John Brillman can supply the pulley and nut.
Special nut for that pulley.
1-888-274-5562

You will also want a battery disconnect switch to shut off power from the battery when the tractor is not being used.
Some single wire alternators have a larger draw on the battery than others and you could have a dead battery all the time if the tractor sits for long periods without being used.
Really, every tractor should have this switch.
Old wires short and burn and they seem to do it when nobody is around.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:21am
I disagree with the voltmeter statement. The ammeter will tell more about the battery condition and its taking charge. The voltmeter will tell you that if the battery was connected it would take charge but it won't tell that the battery IS taking charge. I've run with both and I much prefer the ammeter. The voltmeter is often easier to connect, but really is only of benefit to battery condition if its connected to the battery posts independently of the charging connections, but when its connected somewhere else in the system it doesn't show battery voltage when the battery is being charged or being loaded so its misleading.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:25am
You have the right to disagree.
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:44am
Yea, Gerald has been disagreeing on the voltmeter forever.  I agree with you, Id rather have a voltmeter.  For most of the population that arent engineers a voltmeter will do just fine.    I couldnt resist taken a shot at ya Gerald!!!!!!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:47am
OK you guys don't get started.
I just posted the story on using the voltmeter when using an alternator for info not to start a fight.
But if you want to fight about it go ahead.
We'll watch from the sidelines.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:55am
pjs View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:13am
i like all the info. but i'amstill looking for wire diagram, alt to ign switch,to coil, lite switch,amp meter.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:25am
Here is one that should get you started.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:30am
I would have sent the diagram sooner buy I thought you may have found one on Duey's site the C Tucker posted the link for.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:35am
I just looked at Duey's page and I see there is not a diagram there to really help you.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:38am
If you use a starter solenoid I use a push button switch to activate the solenoid and a toggle switch to turn on the ignition.
This way works good for me but some like a regular key switch for start and ignition.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:47am
If you can't see the picture well use #10 wire between the alternator and the ammeter and between the ammeter and the hot side of the starter switch or solenoid.
Also the battery cables on the tractor are probably pretty heavy.
You can go to #2 cables.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:54am
You can do some checking but you might be able to go with the smaller #4 battery cables with the 12 volt system.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 6:19pm
Yep, the smaller 4ga cables work fine on 12V. My CA has 'em.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
pjs View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 7:25pm
jeff z . ny That is the diagram that i'am looking for. Thanks to all for helping me out.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 7:59pm
re: voltmeter vs. ammeter
The voltmeter only shows the voltage in the battery or the alternator, while the ammeter shows the actual charging of the battery or the draining of it.It is easy to have a battery say '12 volts' but not have the guts 'current' to turn over the starter(rrr.rrr.rrr.syndrome)
To settle the debate..use both ! One of my D-14s has both, as the TB gage is NLW(N Longer Working).Had to fill the hole with something...
Just be sure to use good heavy wires, solder the crimp connections and make a diagram YOU can understand 2 dayze from now...

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve Wilkens View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 8:37pm
If you are not really comfortable doing the wiring, Steve in NJ makes really nice wiring harnesses for any Allis Chalmers model.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:07pm
Put 12 volt on my B .Would not turn enough RPMs to charge. Run wire from alt through switch to ground. I just crank it up flip switch and then cut it off.Wanted small push button but didn,t find one. If you leave switch on it runs battery down  other that it works fine
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 4:52pm
We offer complete 12V conversion systems for your Tractor. Be happy to help you out. All of our 12V systems use a Voltmeter for safety & accuracy. If you want to design the system yourself, I can help you with one of our conversion wiring diagrams also. May I suggest to change your 1 wire to a three wire. You'll be much happier. Leave the one wires for Automobiles. Use a 12V coil with 2.7-3.3 ohms of resistance for a 4 cylinder application. Standard 12V coils only have around 1.5 ohms. Fine for 6 & 8 cylinder applications, but not 4 cylinder. Stay away from ballast resistors also.  HTH 
Thanks Steve W. for the referral! Its appreciated! 
Steve@B&B 
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 11:54am
We have had the ammeter/voltmeter discussion many times before.  There is a good reason that manufactures switched to a voltmeter, and it tells you the same thing if you know what you are looking at.  I don't expect to change the mind of someone like Gerald however;P  Remember that some 12si alternators can put out over 60 amps and most gauges are only rated to 30!

I question from experience the use of any one wire alternator.  They are not a good solution.  I have replaced maybe 2 dozen of them with 3 wire alternators due to failed regulators, inadequate charging at lower rpms for chore tractors, Don't self correct well (undercharge by half a volt) and other general maladies.  If you can return it I would and pickup a 3 wire as they are cheaper, the regulators are more durable, and they charge constantly with the correct voltage If you actually hook up the sense wire.  Running 3 wires is not that hard, exceptionally easy is you buy a kit from Steve. 

JayMiller, I completely fail to see how an ammeter will help you in that situation.   Of course 12 volts will have problems starting a vehicle.  It should read 12.7 volts for a fully charged battery(engine off) and ~14.4 volts when the tractor is running and charging. If you see less then you have issues somewhere, either to great of load or a non/poor functioning charging system, just like an ammeter will tell you.  12V is only a 25 percent charge on the battery, 11.9 volts is a dead battery. 

Jay Moyer
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 6:39pm
re: voltmeters are safer ?
Not really.If you short out a voltmeter ,sparks fly ! The main reason the auto industry went to voltmeters was the bottom line. Voltmeters are cheaper to make,1 size fits all applications,and easier to install on the assembly line.Has nothing to do safety.A quality built gauge will last almost forever however wiring is another issue.Since ammeters must pass higher curent through them than voltmeters,heavier wires are necessary.Corrosion is a huge factor,esp. for outdoor stuff(like tractors).

re: how an ammeter helps...

Ammeters show the actual charge or discharge from the battery(or other source).
Voltmeters mearly show the potential or level under a very ,very light load.
It is common for a battery to read 'fuuly charged' with a voltmeter as there is a surface charge that says '12 volts' however the battery has no real power or current drawing capability. We've all probably had a battery(portable drills !) that even after a full overnight charge went  rr,rr,rrr when trying to start. That's usually due to a loss of capacity.The battery will show 12 volts but under load it has no guts. A voltmeter will never show this but an ammeter will show what's going into the battery.Just because a voltmeter shows 12 volts coming from the alternator does not mean it will supply any current to recharge the battery.Failure of 2 or more diodes inside and the alternator will still pump out 12 volts but at far less current, the ammeter will show this( at least good meters will) but the voltmeter still say 12 volts.

All of my remote energy control systems are battery backed up and load checked every 15 minutes,people get kinda irate when there's no heat in the buildings. When I say 12 volts, I mean a fully charged battery,which is usually 13.2 ( 2.2V / cell) for lead acid.Different battery types have different voltages so it is important to charge according to their mfr spec NOT the equipment spec.

That being said, whether you like voltmeters or ammeters, Fords or Chevies, inspect the wiring and connections regularly and catch the problem BEFORE a fire breaks out !
Cheers

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 5:49pm
Its a fact Jay. You short out any circuitry that carries Battery power, and yer' gonna have sparks. As far as Voltmeters being safer.. they are! I can shish-ka-bob a 60/60 sweep Ammeter in a matter of seconds on my test bench in the shop with a medium amp (78) 10SI Delco Alternator at full field with 8 gauge wire hooked to it. Why? Because an Ammeter is a flow meter, and you need full power running through it in order for it to tell you something, and that's where the problem lies. Voltmeters splice into the system with lighter circuitry, but still are more accurate and much, much safer than an Ammeter, and that's also a fact. There's no need to run full power through it to tell you what's going on hence the smaller circuitry in the dash. As far as cost between the two gauges? That's BS. In mass production, there isn't any difference in cost, not when the mfr' is buying in substantial volumes, but there is a difference in safety especially if it comes to a head-on collision. Especially in older vehicles that had the main Battery feed circuit running across the radiator support and into the vehicle to an Ammeter.  With today's diesel pickup trucks with dual Batteries, there's even more of an issue, because now there's a one gauge battery cable connecting two high amp Batteries together instead of a #10 gauge circuit.  In a head-on collision there, those two Batteries and its connecting cable are the first thing on the scene of the accident! That could be a real problem! Seen many older vehicles regardless of mfr burn to the ground because the main Battery feed running into the vehicle when grounded, and connected to an Ammeter start things a blazing under the dash. Fully powered up number 8 or 10 wire can really cause a commotion under the dash with insulation when you quickly send that current to ground.  Now yer' talkin' sparks Sir!
You mention Alternators putting out 12 volts at the Voltmeter. If you have an Voltmeter showing 12 volts coming from the Alternator while running, you have a charging problem. Its simple. You don't have to read into anything. Also, a Voltmeter isn't designed to show you what the reserve or capacity is in a Battery. A load tester tells you that. You do the same testing procedures on the Battery if an Ammeter is present in the system also. That particular testing hasn't changed since I've been in the Automotive business. In most cases, failure of a Battery to hold a charge or its capacity is usually a Battery, cable, or connection problem not the Alternator's fault. As I've been preaching on this subject for the past 7-8 years here, and for 40 years being in the Automotive electrical field, most folks could care less what is going in and out of their Battery. They don't know anything about that crap. All they want to know is, is this thing charging or not? Most of the public are not engineers, and that's the other reason Voltmeters are present in vehicles. Simplicity. Voltmeter's are like our Tractors. They're pretty simple. All one needs to know is the normal charging rate of any 12V DC system in their Auto, Truck or Tractor.  If its 12V or below, it isn't charging. If its above 14.5V its overcharging. Either way, it brings attention to the driver and needs to be troubleshooted. When you're working a Tractor in a field, you need to focus on where your going, not trying to figure out whether the Ammeter is showing something going in or going out of the Battery. With a Voltmeter, a quick glance down for a second will tell the driver all he or she needs to know.  To me, that's also safety.......
Steve@B&B
D-Terp View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 3:41pm
I need a wiring diagram to put an alternater convertion 6 volt to 12 volt on a WC. Could you email it to Dennis@TerpCreek.com Thanks for the help.
pjs View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 4:45pm
posted this 3 1/2 months ago suprized to see this still being discussed!!!!!!!!!
dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 7:57pm
I just wanted to pass along I added a piece of square tubing under the original generator mount to add height so when adjusting the alternator it would not hit the radiator cowling side. I also custom bent a new upper alternator mount too. Alternator spacers are made of pipe and cut to size.
Danny
Danny Raddatz
dsgraf View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsgraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 8:50pm

I just coverted my wd to 12 volt and after much thought of what alternator to use and hating how any of them look on an old tractor I decided to keep the generator and have it converted to 12 volt. no custom mounts and no one would ever know its 12 volt by looking at it. I run a 12 volt regulator and it is one wire hook up with no fear of diss charging by the battery when not running. I love it and am very happy I didn't go the alternator route. I run the stock ammeter and like it but do see how a voltmeter would be safer. However I do understand that the ammeter is way more informative so I prefer it. My next move is to replace the mag with a distributer as mag parts are just to much money and hard to find.

dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 6:11am
I just wanted to add I changed the stock amp meter gauge to a 60/60 from the 30/30 because of the 10SI alternators out put. I did not know if that would change with the conversion from a 6 volt to a 12 volt generator a drgraf did?
Danny
Danny Raddatz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic